A wonderful fund raising event for a very worthwhile cause!
Our dear friend and former colleague Rico Grewal together with his friend Andy Giles will be running 13 consecutive half marathons in aid of Children North East!
Date: Sunday 8th to Friday 20th May 2022
First Run: Sunderland City Half Marathon (see route below if you want to join)
The statistics say:
– 4.3 million children are living in poverty in the UK and this is predicted to rise to 5.3 million in 2022
– The top 12 places in the UK with the highest increase in child poverty are all in the North East
– 1 in 10 low income workers did not have the choice to work from home during COVID, compared to 50% of high income workers. Impacting health, mental health and increased financial burden such as childcare.
As a result of the above issue in our society, data shows that:
– One in eight 5-19 year olds have a diagnosable mental health condition
– 75% of all mental health problems in adults (excluding dementia) begin before the age of 18 and 50% before the age of 14
– A survey of 1000 secondary school pupils showed that 50% reported that they had tried to cope with these negative feelings alone, and a third said they would not discuss their emotions with a teacher.
With your support, we can help babies, children and young people grow up healthy and happy by donating to this amazing charity.
You can donate to this noble cause as an individual or collectively as a club.
Follow Rico and Andy on Instagram as they prepare for this event.
Route maps with times are below – you are welcome to join at any point in the route to keep Rico and Andy company; or do a local park run to help your club fund raise.